19-25 June 2017
European Commission, Charlemagne Building
170 Rue de la Loi -1000, Brussels
EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) is held annually by the European Commission and the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises to discuss clean, secure and efficient energy. This year’s focus was on how to create a clean energy Europe, and how to implement a true Energy Union.
Commissioner Arias Cañete opened the event on Tuesday, 20 June and discussed the latest developments regarding the Clean Energy for All Europeans package, as well as how Europe will shape a sustainable, energy-secure and climate-resilient growth.
EUSEW Policy Conference: looking to the future of sustainable energy
EUSEW Policy Conference took place on 20-22 June. The conference was a chance to debate sustainable energy policy issues and showcase new ideas. It ranged from high-level discussion of EU energy policy, including the Energy Union strategy and the ‘Clean Energy for All Europeans’ package published in November 2016, to presentations of specific initiatives to help members of the public to manage their own energy usage.
Other panels focused on topics that include an ongoing Smart Cities and Communities project, the challenges of providing islands with clean, sustainable energy, and the EU’s renewable energy targets for 2030. The event brought together representatives of the European institutions, national and local authorities, the energy industry, NGOs and consumers.
This interactive discussion put eight sustainable energy entrepreneurs from all over Europe in the spotlight. They each had three minutes to pitch their projects and then were quizzed by a panel of five journalists.
Their projects are:
- BETTAIR-LAMP: lamps and other products with anti-pollutant and antibacterial properties
- Coolar: an electricity-free entirely water-based solar heat powered refrigerator to cool medicines and vaccines
- Elemize Technologies: optimizing the behaviour of distributed electricity storage systems coupled with renewable energy plants
- EP tender: a small trailer that enables electric vehicles to cover longer distances independently
- GoodShipping Program: helping ocean cargo owners to reduce the carbon footprint from ship operations by adding renewables to the fuel mix
- LIFE “Smart Fertirrigation”: an innovative approach to processing digestate from pig manure at biogas plants
- Opinum: a secure web platform to analyse your energy consumption data
- SolarBrush by Aerial Power: a fully automated drone-based method for cleaning solar panels.
EFMC – European Fund Management Consulting
PR and Communications Manager